Visioncall professional eye care solution
- Posted by admin
- On 15th May 2018
It’s the same as a standard eye test… but, it isn’t.
Visioncall are proud to provide a caring and professional eye care solution in the homes of those who find it difficult to attend a high street practice.
Approximately 1 in 2 older people living in Care homes have some form of sight loss and the traditional methods of testing are not possible for someone living with dementia.
Our eye care solution was developed to test the vision of someone living with dementia, so that we can assess them in a professional and appropriate manner.
Additionally, carrying out the sight test in a familiar environment eases elderly patients and people suffering from dementia, which alleviates the patient’s stress and eases communication.
Our opticians will always treat every person undergoing a sight test with dignity and respect by communicating and engaging with them.
In most cases, a sight test means popping down to your local opticians, having a quick chat to establish how your vision is and how you see things during the test.
From start to finish our sight test involves a more personable and simpler approach:
- 1. A sight test can be requested on the phone or online through VC24 (our online eye care management system).
- 2. Completion of a Lifestyle Questionnaire before the eye examination helps us to meet the individual’s needs.
- 3. A dementia sight test is carried out using the Lifestyle information given. We provide our eye care recommendation booklet afterwards, with an appropriate and necessary prescription.
- 4. If the individual wishes to order their glasses, we will personally deliver them to their home and make any adjustments if necessary. We will also provide a personalised Lifestyle Passport.
- 5. The Passport is kept in the individual’s care plan for the care home team to reference on a daily basis.
Our dementia sight test uses different techniques and equipment to gather results using two different approaches – subject testing and objective testing.
Subjective testing makes use of a letter chart for the eye examination, except our chart also features numbers and symbols to meet varying patient needs.
Whereas, objective testing does not require a verbal response which enables us to examine an individual who has problems communicating.
Thanks to these specialist techniques, our dementia sight test enables us to provide a speedy clinical diagnosis and prescription.
This helps us to improve vision for the individual sooner, rather than later.
Enhancing vision naturally improves eyesight, the quality of life, reduces the possibility of falls and bumps, and minimises sight loss from problems such as cataracts, glaucoma and macular degeneration.
Ultimately, our dementia sight test enables lives and maintains independence through better vision.
Visioncall have an array of other innovative partnership benefits available to Care home operators including; an online portal, staff training and bespoke dementia signage.
For more information about Visioncall and how we can better support a person you know living with dementia and their associated eye care needs, then please visit us at stand A10 on June 8th and 9th at The Alzheimer’s Show London.
We look forward to meeting you on the day!